· Market Information
· Advertising Options
· Advertising Info
· Contact Advertising
Editorial & Opinion
The Seattle Times
The Seattle Times Store
10 TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL ADVERTISING
What makes readers take notice of an ad?
How do black-and-white ads fare next to 2-color or full-color?
How many visuals are appropriate?
Answers to these questions, and many others, are important for creating effective advertising. As a result, Roper Starch Worldwide conducted a study to find out how an ad's basic characteristics can increase its effectiveness. Here are their top 10 recommendations.
- Keep your ad execution focused on a strong benefit message
- Run a larger ad whenever possible
- Use color to attract reader's attention
- Emphasize the visual
- Opt for photographs over line art or no visual
- Show the product, preferably in use
- Display prices, but not too many
- Emphasize the promotion
- Make sure text can be read, especially with reversed type, and type over type or visuals
- Don't worry about ad position
View the full "Ad Elements: What Works
for Newspapers" presentation by Roper Starch Worldwide in QuickTime
format or in MediaPlayer format.